Thursday 16 August 2018

Using Humour in Speeches

A good speech may become a great one if you can get your audience to chuckle or actually laugh at something you say. 


My name is Peter Martindale and self-deprecating humour works well for me.  You would likely hear some of my humour if I was to be your public speaking mentor – e.g. “I was in National Service – I was so beautiful – a Bronzed Anzac, but look at me now – I am more like a Bronzed Whaler”.

The best humour I ever heard was by a long gone judge who discussed certain Aussie vernacular – language used in TV ads.  It was hilarious. Think about a speech that made you laugh and try to identify what you found so funny.

All speeches have one or many purposes – one of those purposes that is often used is to entertain. I have a few words on how to use, or not to use, humour in speeches. However, it’s up to you to how you deliver and use your own humour to engage your audience.

  • Talking against yourself is probably the easiest method to make an audience laugh.
  • Be careful not to offend anyone and make sure to be well rehearsed.
  • Perhaps try the joke out on someone beforehand – sometimes something is funny in your head but may not reach a larger audience…
  • All aside, if you feel it is a bridge too far then you are better to avoid it than receive dead silence.
  • Even outstanding speakers sometimes struggle to find a laugh, but notice they rarely use corny jokes – those can be painful!
  • Find your little bright spark and you can lift your speech – but don’t let the fun bits become the central message unless that is your sole objective.
Contribution from Peter Martindale, Adelaide Public Speaking, Rostrum Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment