Thursday 26 May 2016

Rod builds his confidence with Rostrum Public Speaking Group

Where do I go from here?

My position at work was made redundant. This was due to the down turn in the Automotive Industry. This was a role and a company that I had worked in for many years and was a huge change to my life.

I had not realised it, but my whole network of colleagues and friends revolved around my work place. I experienced a feeling of isolation and felt disconnected, my confidence and self-belief was at an all-time low.

Positive steps

My employer was good to me and they sponsored an outplacement program. Along with that I sought professional help and counselling. Through this process it occurred to me that a good way to reclaim my confidence and get back into the workforce was to confront a lifelong fear I held of speaking in front of people, public speaking.

I googled public speaking and found Rostrum, emailed the contact and went along to a Rostrum meeting at Victorian club 45.

How did it work?

My experience at Rostrum was one of being at a safe and non-threatening place. I was encouraged to progress at my own pace and make mistakes or say silly things without fear of ridicule, only positive re-enforcement and guidance was ever given by everyone at the Club.

The Rostrum meeting is fun and the learning experience is driven by the training officer, observing others, joining in, trying new things, listening and the feedback provided at the end of the meetings by the coach of the day.

All coaches are trained and accredited by Rostrum Victoria and provide guidance and feedback that will assist you to grow your confidence and improve your speaking skills. When I accepted the invitation to get up to speak, particularly when given a topic as you stand, the most difficult speech to make, I really struggled to think and speak at the same time. I know that sounds silly for a 50 year old man, but after several attempts over several meetings I mastered the impromptu speech and the boost that gives your confidence is wonderful.
Rod (third from right in the front row) at a Rostrum Victoria executive meeting

How the club worked for me

One issue that I faced was that my last interview in the workplace was a long time ago, so interviews were very daunting for me. Given I was trying to re-establish myself as a manager of a business, this was a huge stumbling block. A couple of Rostrum meetings were held for me to practice being interviewed and along with some private tuition generously provided by a Rostrum member, this was another “fear” I have ticked off my list.

Success at speaking


During my time at Rostrum the highlights for me are the following experiences:
  • President of both Victorian club 45 and my current Victorian club 54.
  • Chairman of many of the Rostrum Meetings
  • Secretary of Club 54
  • Chaired the 2011 Dietrich Speaking competition, 80 people attended.
  • Competed at the 2012 Dietrich Speaking competition, delivering a 10 minute speech.
  • Chaired Voice of Youth heats where secondary school students compete in a national public speaking competition
  • Elected to position of Rostrum Victoria Vice President for 2015.
Rod (5th from right) with members of Victorian Club 55 at their first year anniversary dinner

The flow on effects

In my personal life the benefits I have gained from my Rostrum experience are:
  • Having overcome my Public speaking fear, taking on and overcoming other life fears
  • Improved feeling of wellbeing and confidence in social situations
  • Being employed in my role as Operations Manager

3 comments:

  1. Do you feel your Rostrum experience has helped you in interview situations? Did you feel that your confidence in public speaking helped you win the OM role?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Rostrum confidence help you get the Operations Manager role?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, Yes my Rostrum experience has helped me in interview situations. What Rostrum did for me was provide a safe environment where I could practice and learn new communication skills, with practice comes confidence. Having only had 2 or 3 interviews for a job role in my working life of 35 years, I was out of practice and my confidence was suffering. It was my skills and experience in the role that got me the OM job, but it was Rostrum that sharpened my ability to sell myself.

    ReplyDelete